Walmart is one of the biggest employers in America, second only to Wal-Mart Stores Inc. The company has over 2 million employees and hires 1 million new people each year. What does this mean for felons who are looking for work?
Walmart did not hire felons in 2021. The company did however, hire misdemeanors. Read more in detail here: does walmart hire misdemeanors.
Whether you’re a regular shopper at one of their locations, you may be wondering if Walmart hires criminals. With 11,200 shops in 27 countries, the business is the world’s biggest retailer. As a result, they’re most likely recruiting in your area!
We questioned Walmart directly about their hiring procedures so that we could teach you all you need to know about being employed at Walmart.
Our area of expertise is assisting former criminals in finding employment by providing guidance on everything from resume writing to interview preparation. Furthermore, since many of our employees have criminal histories, we are aware of the kinds of hints you should be aware of.
We have some excellent tips for applying at Walmart, including answers to the following questions:
- With a conviction on my record, how can I apply for a job at Walmart?
- Is it true that Walmart does background checks?
- What should I do in order to prepare for an interview?
- What are some promising entry-level positions?
- Is Walmart willing to employ individuals who have committed misdemeanors?
- What do the employees have to say about working there?
Is it true that Walmart employs felons?
Hiring convicts is against the company’s official policy.
Successful Release reached out to Walmart and received the following response:
“We employ criminals as long as their sentence has been postponed. Convictions are not asked about on the application, but we do inquire about them during background checks. New employees are subjected to background checks prior to being offered a job. There are no specific employment programs for convicts. Criminals are permitted to work in departments that do not employ weapons. They may even be employed for management positions as long as no weapons are used.”
Has Walmart ever employed a convicted felon?
Yes. The official answer from Walmart verifies this.
Is Walmart willing to employ individuals who have committed misdemeanors?
Yes. We think they will employ individuals who have been convicted of misdemeanors. They already employ individuals with felonies for these less severe crimes.
Is Walmart on the list of companies that should be banned from using cardboard boxes?
Definitely! Walmart has thrown its support behind two important national programs that help ex-offenders find work.
They’re on the Ban the Box list, to begin with. For individuals with criminal histories, this initiative aims to level the playing field.
Employers should evaluate job skills before looking at criminal records, according to Ban the Box. To guarantee this, companies that sign remove the criminal record check box from employment forms.
Walmart has also signed the Fair Chance Business Pledge. Employers sign the Pledge to demonstrate they’ll do all they can to make it easier for people with criminal histories to get work.
As a result, you should be confident in your ability to obtain a job at Walmart even if you have a felony!
Does Walmart have any specific employment programs for felons?
The official answer we received from the business verifies this. However, don’t let this deter you from submitting an application! There aren’t many businesses that offer unique programs.
What are the chances of someone with a felony getting a job?
We think you have a good chance of getting a job at Walmart if you have a felony. This is why:
- According to the company’s official statement, they employ criminals.
- Walmart has joined the Fair Chance Business Pledge and supports Ban the Box.
- Employees acknowledge they’ve been employed or know of others who have been recruited with a felony on their record in online comments.
What are some examples of entry-level positions?
You may expect to see the following kinds of entry-level jobs:
Jobs in the Store:
- Scan and bag goods, handle payments, and answer customer product inquiries as a cashier and front-end associate.
- Cart Attendant and Janitorial Associate – Collect carts from the parking lot, move carts with equipment, and clean the bathrooms, sales floor, and parking lot.
- Unload trucks, sort goods, stock shelves, and keep aisles and work areas clean as a stocker, backroom, and receiving associate.
- Sales Associate – Assist other colleagues in the store by helping consumers locate goods, keeping the work space stocked, clean, and safe, and assisting customers.
- Keep shelves, freezers, and food displays stocked, help customers with deli and cake orders, and keep the work space clean and sanitary.
Jobs at a Distribution Center and as a Driver:
- Manage, manage, and transport freight, as well as manually complete orders for retailers, as a freight handler.
- Organize the warehouse, conduct inventory, and operate a motor vehicle or heavy power equipment.
- Drive goods from the distribution center to the retailers as a truck driver.
Employees and their families may benefit from a health plan, vision and dental coverage, retail discounts, a 401(k) plan, and educational aid.
Shifts vary per profession, but the majority of them need you to work weekends and holidays. If you work as a truck driver, you should plan to return home once a week.
How to Get a Job at Walmart if You Have a Felony
Start by searching for employment opportunities on the Walmart website. Here’s the link to apply online when you’re ready.
You’ll need an email account to apply online, so keep that in mind. You may, of course, present your CV to a shop and leave it with the recruiting manager.
The company’s website has a wealth of information regarding the company’s future plans, such as in eCommerce. So, if you’re considering a long-term career rather than simply getting a job at Walmart with a felony, this is useful information to have.
Furthermore, each job ad has answers to often asked questions. These are mostly concerned with the application procedure.
Furthermore, every job ad we looked at emphasized the significance of having a positive mindset. This applies to delivering excellent customer service and collaborating well with coworkers. So, throughout your interview, be pleasant and upbeat.
The Walmart website also offers excellent advice on how to prepare for your interview.
Here are some more suggestions on how to obtain a job at Walmart:
- Have a friend or family member go through your CV. Inquire about how you might enhance it. Even if your buddy isn’t a professional resume writer, having a second pair of eyes on your CV is beneficial.
- If you know anybody who works at Walmart, inquire about their hiring process. Also, request a reference! This is the most effective method to find work everywhere.
- Your chances may be made or broken based on your references. Make sure you have some excellent character references as a convicted criminal. Ask your landlord, pastor, or anybody else who can attest to your dependability and trustworthiness.
- You’re well aware that your criminal past may be brought up throughout the employment process. As a result, prepare yourself for any inquiries that may arise. Consider how you’ll explain your criminal past and what you’ve done to get your life back on track.
Walmart employs more than 2.2 million people worldwide. Moreover, the business claims that 75% of store managers began as hourly employees. This is promising since it indicates that there is opportunity for advancement within the organization.
Is it true that Walmart does background checks?
Yes. Expect to be subjected to a background check.
Most companies will do some kind of background investigation. Businesses, for example, are obliged by law to verify the identification of those they employ and that they are authorized to work in the United States.
Employees on Indeed.com have some insightful remarks on what Walmart searches for. In general, your criminal record, employment history, education, and credit history may be included in their background check.
They’ll search for crimes involving theft, narcotics, or violence, for example. Walmart will also inquire about your work ethic and the reasons for your departure from previous jobs.
But don’t get too worked up over it. Remember that they employ ex-offenders, and most importantly, be truthful on your application!
What you should know about background checks is as follows:
Background checks in certain states may only look at the past seven years. The following is a list of states that practice this:
- The state of New Hampshire
- *New York City
(* Certain wage or income bracket jobs may need one.)
Furthermore, any charges for which you were found not guilty will be ignored by the following states:
- New York
However, the states mentioned below will take into account your whole record, including any not guilty verdicts:
- New Jersey is a state in the United States.
- North Carolina is a state in the United States.
- North Dakota is a state in North America.
- Rhode Island is a state in the United States.
- South Carolina is a state in the United States.
- West Virginia is a state in the US.
Ratings for businesses
Employees at Walmart have given it high marks on the internet.
On glassdoor.com, nearly 39,000 reviewers gave Walmart a 4 out of 5 star rating. 63 percent of those surveyed said they would suggest Walmart to a friend.
On Indeed.com, for example, they have a 3.6 out of 5 rating based on over 160,000 evaluations. People in this town like them most for their culture and work-life balance, and they say they are well compensated for their jobs.
What kinds of criminal convictions may make it difficult to be employed here?
Many items from Walmart are readily stolen. If you have a history of theft or shoplifting charges, you may have a tougher time getting employed.
Convictions for violent crimes may also be problematic. Obviously, the recruiting manager will want to see whether you can work well in a group setting. Furthermore, for a store like Walmart, employing employees who will treat consumers with respect is essential.
Finally, having driving infractions may be a deal breaker if you want to drive a Walmart truck. Basically, the business must ensure that they can insure you and that you are capable of doing the necessary tasks.
Consider your criminal past and the professions that are more difficult for you to get because of it.
Is Walmart a drug testing facility?
Yes. The business “…needs a drug screening test as part of its selection and hiring process for some jobs,” according to the online Walmart application.
Furthermore, “under some conditions throughout [employment], workers may be compelled to submit to alcohol/drug testing.”
To put it another way, be ready for a drug test.
Have you applied for or worked at this location? Let us know about your experiences!
You now know. Is it true that Walmart employs felons? Yep!
What suggestions and guidance do you have to provide if you’ve ever worked for Walmart with a record?
The walmart background check 2020 is a question that has been asked before. Walmart does not hire felons in 2021, but they do hire people with criminal records.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can you get a job at Walmart with a felony?
Yes, you can.
Does Walmart do background checks 2021?
Yes, Walmart does do background checks for employees.
What does Walmart look for in a background check?
Walmart typically conducts a background check when they are hiring someone new. It is not known what exactly is looked for in these background checks, but it is likely that they would want to make sure the person has no criminal record and that they have some form of identification such as a drivers license or passport.
- walmart background check 2021
- does walmart hire felons reddit
- walmart background check disqualifications
- failed walmart background check
- how far back does walmart background check go